About Me

Hello! My name is Mrs. Murley. I am a graduate from Clarke University with a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Elementary Education with a Reading and Coaching Endorsement. I have finished my student teaching experience at Resurrection Elementary in the kindergarten and third grade classroom. I have been teaching at St. Mary Immaculate Conception since 2009 in the Kindergarten classroom. I recently accepted a job working at Resurrection where I student taught in the Kindergarten classroom. I LOVE teaching kindergarten. It is a true passion of mine. I have a strong passion and eagerness to teach young children to become proficient and independent learners. I continue to strive to incorporate technology into the classroom. I believe technology gives students the building block to succeed in this technological driven society at a young age. We do so much in our classroom throughout the year with Ipads, Mimios, Clickers, and Flip Videos to develop our young learners. The students become successful, independent learners with all these devices and they enjoy learning with them.

Monday, June 11, 2012

With summer here I have some time to write about some of the fun things I do in my classroom that makes my Kindergarten classroom so special.
Individual spelling lists-
I give all the students individual spelling lists starting in early December before they leave for Christmas break. If the individual student doesn't know the alphabet that is what they are working on. If the individual student has mastered writing the alphabet they move onto a list of spelling words I have created. I start them off with 3-5 words. If they are successful they move up in the number of words they get each week. If they are not successful with the amount of words they have they move down to 2 or 3 words each week. You can really use whatever list of words you wish but I use a list that is grouped in word families.
I get my words from the Kindergarten Age 5 Spelling List. I think these lists are great. However, I will combine weeks or cut weeks in half for those students that need it. I have a sheet of paper that lists each students words for the week in a binder that helps me organize who has what words. If a student gets a word wrong they get that same word again the following week. They continue to get this word until they have mastered the word.
If you have any questions on the way I give my spelling tests please feel free to ask.
My past three years I have had 14 or fewer students and I administrated the tests myself. This upcoming year, I will have an associate in my classroom with 18+ students. The associate will help me administrate these tests on Friday because each student needs to be taken individually. After the students take the test, I correct them and try to get them to go home on Friday to be signed by their parents and returned. I hold on to these spelling tests until the end of the year to show the students their progress. The students always love seeing where they started (which is usually with the alphabet).

No comments:

Post a Comment