About Me

Hello! My name is Mrs. Murley. I am a graduate from Clarke University with a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Elementary Education with a Reading and Coaching Endorsement. I have finished my student teaching experience at Resurrection Elementary in the kindergarten and third grade classroom. I have been teaching at St. Mary Immaculate Conception since 2009 in the Kindergarten classroom. I recently accepted a job working at Resurrection where I student taught in the Kindergarten classroom. I LOVE teaching kindergarten. It is a true passion of mine. I have a strong passion and eagerness to teach young children to become proficient and independent learners. I continue to strive to incorporate technology into the classroom. I believe technology gives students the building block to succeed in this technological driven society at a young age. We do so much in our classroom throughout the year with Ipads, Mimios, Clickers, and Flip Videos to develop our young learners. The students become successful, independent learners with all these devices and they enjoy learning with them.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012


I have uploaded a calendar for our chicken hatching process. With each day I tell what we are doing. I also made a calendar of my own listing journal ideas for that day. We have started reading books about chicks, chickens, hens, and rosters. I have introduced a lot of vocabulary to the students like incubator, candling, testing, embryo, hen, roster, hatchery, male, female, broiler farm. breeding, down, free-range farm, grains, hatch, and yolk. The students are just loving it. My first year doing this we videotaped the hatching. So, I have been showing the students the end results and they just can't wait! I found excellent books from Keystone which I will list at a later date.
This whole process really ties in all different areas of my curriculum. I have the student journal daily about the process. During their journaling they predict and confirm their predictions. They also learn vocabulary and use it in sentences. They develop their understanding of sentence structure and ending marks. And lastly, they become very detailed illustrators because they care so much about this topic! I also get many books that relate to hatching chicken eggs and set these books out. The students LOVE looking at them. They often go to the library and look for "chicken" books!
It really is a fun part of the year because my students are becoming more independent and writing and reading on their own! I really enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment